Pages

18 July 2011

Quotes

I have been collecting quotes from things I find interesting for quite some time now, and I have just realised I have pages of them, I think they would be best shared, here, in the relative safety and anonymity of my seldom read blog!  Enjoy the words, people.
Oh, and I would like to add that I know a witty quote proves nothing and it is strange to want to collect them but I just feel that the things I want to say have probably been said before by folk more interesting and articulate than myself, so quotes ahoy... (and some of them are just funny or ironic, this is not an attempt to find the profound!)


Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can't build on it; it's only good for wallowing in.

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. - Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes)

We are so vain that we even care for the opinion of those we don't care for.

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.  (From an Assyrian tablet, written circa 2800 BC)

The most precious things in life are not those one gets for money. (Albert Einstein, 1946)

You all wear masks but the time will come when you cannot remove them, without removing some of your own skin.

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I’m not too sure.

The best way to become boring is to say everything. (Voltaire)

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. (Mahatma Ghandi)

I am not an Athenian or a Greek, I am a citizen of the world.  (Socrates)

To him in who love dwells, the whole world is but one family.  (Buddha)

You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.  (George Bernard Shaw)

Nationalism is an infantile disease.  It is the measles of mankind.  (Albert Einstein, The World As I See It, 1934)

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.  (George Bernard Shaw)

Men love their country, not because it is great, but because it is their own.  (Seneca)

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.  I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.  (Abraham Lincoln)

The love of one's country is a splendid thing.  But why should love stop at the border?  (Pablo Casals)

A book is the most effective weapon against intolerance and ignorance.  A good book allows us to walk in another’s shoes and see all sides of the story.

So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall.  ( Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

I have given up reading books; I find it takes my mind off myself. (Oscar Levant)

It is better to read a little and ponder a lot than to read a lot and ponder a little.

If you always do what interests you, at least one person will be pleased. (Katherine Hepburn)

Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied. (Pearl S Buck)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of
God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. (Nelson Mandela)

If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing. (Margaret Thatcher)

I dream a lot.  I do more painting when I’m not painting.  It’s in the subconscious. (Andrew Wyeth)

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.  (Mae West)

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. (Katherine Mansfield)                                                                                                

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.  (Hunter S Thompson)  (Note that Hunter Stockton Thompson (July 18, 1937 – February 20, 2005) was an American journalist and author who wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971) and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 (1973).
He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become central figures of their stories. He is known also for his unrepentant lifelong use of alcoholLSDmarijuana, and cocaine (among other substances); his love of firearms; his long-standing hatred of Richard; and his iconoclastic contempt for authoritarianism. While suffering a bout of health problems, he committed suicide in 2005, at the age of 67.) Source - Wikipedia

I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.  (Frida Kahlo)

I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.  (Frida Kahlo)

Why are there never any fast children playing?

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.  (Mark Twain)

It does not matter how far you travel; what matters is that you notice where you are... or something to that effect, unfinished.

Parents forgive their children least readily for the faults they themselves instilled in them.

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be.  (Clementine Paddleford)

One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.  (Henry Ford)

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. (Mae West)

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

I know what I’m doing with my work, and that’s really a nice feeling, that I’ve created something that wasn’t there before, that’s mine.  (Tracy Emin)

Words ought to be a little wild for they are assaults of thought on the unthinking. (John Maynard Keynes)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.  (Albert Einstein)

Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. (Charles Dickens)

Little by little, one travels far. (J. R. R. Tolkien)

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us (J. R. R. Tolkien, Fellowship of the Ring)

I can’t live where I want to – I can’t go where I want to go – I can’t do what I want to – I can’t even say what I want to say... I am a very stupid fool not to at least paint as I want to.  (Georgia O’Keeffe)

To create one’s own world in any of the arts takes courage. (Georgia O’Keeffe)

They thought I was a Surrealist, but I wasn’t.  I never painted dreams.  I painted my reality.  (Frida Kahlo)

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. (Caille Pissarro)

It seems to me madness to wake up in the morning and do something other than paint, considering that one may not wake up the following morning. (Frank Auerbach)

Which painting in the National Gallery would I save if there was a fire?  The one nearest the door of course.  (George Bernard Shaw)

I dread success. To have succeeded is to have finished one's business on earth, like the male spider, which is killed by the female the moment he has succeeded in his courtship. I like a state of continual becoming, with a goal in front and not behind.  (George Bernard Shaw)

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. (Will Rogers)

If art was defined simply by the ability to draw, then my inkjet printer would be a greater artist than Michelangelo. (Curtis Verdun)

Objective painting is not good painting unless it is good in the abstract sense. A hill or tree cannot make a good painting just because it is a hill or tree. It is lines and colours put together so that they may say something. (Georgia O'Keeffe)

There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterwards you can remove all traces of reality. There's no danger then, anyway, because the idea of the object will have left an indelible mark. (Pablo Picasso)

Painting, like music, has nothing to do with the reproduction of nature, nor interpretation of intellectual meanings. Whoever is able to feel the beauty of colours and forms has understood non-objective painting. (Hilla Rebay)

The approbation of others is a stimulus of which one must sometimes be wary. The feeling of one's own strength makes one modest. (Paul Cezanne)

We all want to be accepted, but in the end it is the truly original that are remembered. (Mary Moquin)

A life spent chasing other people's approval is a life spent on a pointless roller coaster of emotional highs and lows, without ever knowing yourself. (Rinatta Paries)

Accepting the unacceptable is the hardest lesson to learn and the most important to achieve inner peace. (Char Wilson)

By painting one painting after another as fast as possible, not only does the work get better, but every accident becomes an opportunity to experiment. Sometimes one accident can be combined with another. (Earl Grenville Killeen)

You need accidents, otherwise it is fake. (Sotirios Kotoulas)

Today's accomplishments were yesterday's impossibilities. (Robert H. Schuller)

The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat. (Napoleon Hill)

The true artist seeks achievement and does not need to be merely pretty. (A. C. Leighton)

Worthwhile achievements are not done for money, they are done for the love of study. You do them for self-development. (John W. Robichaux)

The few who do are the enemy of the many who only watch. (Jim Rohn)

Painting is an adventure to an unknown world. New ideas and concepts develop along the way. (Ratindra Das)

Art is on the same adventure as Science, with this difference, that Science tries to comprehend Nature's body while Art tries to apprehend her spirit. (F. B. Housser)

One of the most adventurous things left us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams. (E. V. Lucas)

The past is a picture to be observed, not a house to be lived in. (K. A. Blackburn)

Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. (Erica Jong)

One day Boudin said to me, "Learn to draw well and appreciate the sea, the light, the blue sky." I took his advice. (Claude Monet)

You never know where a person may go, so always encourage the journey. (Carolyn Newberger)

Work hard, never give up and don't fall in love with yourself. (Martha Sturdy)

Go not to the elves for advice, for they will say both no and yes. (J. R. R. Tolkien)

I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest. (Muhammad Ali)

You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be. (David Viscott)

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. (Salvador Dali)

This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last. (Oscar Wilde)

We see the brightness of a new page where everything yet can happen. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Without dreams the artist would perish. Dreams are the initial catalysts which launch us into a position of faith that tells us we can accomplish that which is not already done. (Roger Asselin)

If I sit and daydream, the images rush by like a succession of colored slides. (Francis Bacon)

Dreams have only one owner at a time. That's why dreamers are lonely. (Erma Bombeck)

Objects seen in dreams should be manufactured and put on sale. (Andre Breton)

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas: they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind. (Emily Bronte)

Myths are the world's dreams. They are archetypal dreams and deal with great human problems. Myths and dreams come from the same place. They come from realizations of some kind that then have to find expression in symbolic form. (Joseph Campbell)

There is at the back of every artist's mind... the landscape of his dreams.; the strange flora and fauna of his own secret planet; the sort of thing he likes to think about. This general atmosphere... governs all his creations, however varied. (G. K. Chesterton)

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. (Charles William Dement)

Dreams are real while they are happening. Can we say anymore about life? (Havelock Ellis)

Cut not the wings of your dreams, for they are the heartbeat and the freedom of your soul. (Flavia)

I dream my paintings, then I paint my dreams. (Vincent van Gogh)

The best pictures are always those one dreams of when one is smoking a pipe in bed, but which never get done. But still one ought to try, however incompetent one may feel before the unspeakable perfection and radiant splendour of nature. (Vincent van Gogh)

Everyone has dreams, but for too many they are lost along the way to conformity. (Hap Hagood)

Hold fast to your dreams, for if dreams die, then life is like a broken winged bird that cannot fly. (Langston Hughes)

Sometimes I dream of a work of really great breadth, ranging through the whole region of object, meaning, and style. This, I fear, will remain a dream, but it is a good thing to bear the possibility occasionally in mind. (Paul Klee)

Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you. (Marsha Norman)

You see things; and you say Why? But I dream things that never were; and I say Why not? (George Bernard Shaw)

Dreams can often become challenging, but challenges are what we live for. (Travis White)

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamer of dreams. (Willy Wonka)

Art never expresses anything but itself. (Oscar Wilde)

The artist should never try to be popular. Rather the public should be more artistic. (Oscar Wilde)

The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates. (Oscar Wilde)

The creative person is more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive and more constructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person. (Frank X Barron)

Creativity is not a motive; it's simply an attitude of open-mindedness. (Eleanor Blair)

Too many artists in all genres think the more smash, noise, shock they put into something, the more emotion they can evoke in the viewer, reader, listener. Too much emphasis on this can result in sensory overload, deadening the senses rather than exciting them. (Carole Ann Borges)

Today one can dare anything, and, furthermore, nobody is surprised. (Paul Gauguin)

Art is the expression of the profoundest of thoughts in the simplest way.  (Albert Einstein)

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.  (Albert Einstein)

Inside of a ring or out, ain’t nothing wrong with going down.  It’s staying down that’s wrong.  (Muhammad Ali)

War doesn't determine who's right - only who's left.  (Bertrand Russell)